Offering music performance coaching to musicians of all genres and abilities. Constructive suggestions delivered with kindness in a fun atmosphere.
I love music and the joy and meaning it brings to our lives. I get just as much of a thrill from seeing a total novice conquer their first performance nerves as I do in helping accomplished musicians hone their crafts and take their music to new heights. Whether it's vocal or instrumental, pop, rock, classical, individual, duo, trio, band or large ensemble, I am passionate about helping musicians of all genres and abilities to perform at their best.
Drawing on more than thirty years experience in the music industry as a performer, teacher, conductor and director, I offer friendly, honest feedback and musical support to anyone wanting to improve their performance skills. With extensive experience in coaching musicians of all genres, I can help you to hone your craft and deliver music that connects with audiences. Consider me your “musical mum” who will encourage and guide you to perform at your best.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Education (Music)
- Over 30 years music teaching (schools & private tuition)
- Qualified Careers Adviser
- Choir Director
- Pianist/Keyboard Player
- Music Coach
Coaching sessions are tailored to your needs and available to individuals and groups. You can choose the area you want to target or I can provide general feedback. You can choose a one-off, one hour session or a series of sessions for more intensive work. Individuals and small groups can attend my Faulconbridge studio in the beautiful Blue Mountains, or for larger groups I can travel to your rehearsal space.
WHO CAN BE COACHED?
The short answer is ANYONE! Here are some examples of the ways I’ve helped other musos…
- a professional muso who wants a fresh set of eyes on their act and some targeted input
- a duo starting out needing help with blending, harmonies and stagecraft
- a Jazz singer needing some confidence and guidance with delivery
- someone who dreams about singing at karaoke but has never had the courage to try
- an HSC music student needing some confidence for an upcoming performance exam
- an acoustic musician needing some microphone technique
- a gigging band wanting to improve their look, delivery and stage presence
- a singer wanting to audition for a role in a local musical production
- a total beginner who wants to sing but doesn't even know if they can hold a tune
- an ensemble needing some creative song and arrangement ideas
- a bride or groom wanting to perform a song on their wedding day
- a friend who wants to gift a song for a celebration or event
- someone who has never performed for an audience before but wants to try
- someone who has an idea for a song but needs a bit of help shaping it
- an acapella group needing some polishing up before a show
"When our duo ‘Saunders & Stowe’ began to develop harmonies for a selection of covers and original songs we sought the professional advice of Lorraine Vogel.
Lorraine’s positive guidance and critical ear were instrumental in helping us become performance ready. While rehearsing on our own, it was difficult to objectively assess the songs and harmonies.
Recordings were not adequate in recreating the audience experience. Our duo consisted of a soprano voice and rich bass voice which at times was difficult to blend. Lorraine helped develop the harmonies to blend and bring the voices closer together, and gave excellent advice on how to vary our dynamics. Lorraine gave positive, practical stagecraft directions gained from her vast experience performing as a soloist, band member and choir director. From her perspective as a professional musician and experienced performer Lorraine watched our proposed show and gave constructive feedback on the choice of music, harmonies and delivery. This was vital to the success of our musical debut.”
"Lorraine has a vast history of experience in the music industry as a performer, teacher and choir director over many years. I have sought her coaching assistance on several different occasions over the past six years to address a number of areas including performance anxiety, song crafting, microphone technique, and more recently, analysis of a demo to explore balance and communication between musicians. I have always appreciated Lorraine’s informed, honest and considered feedback delivered in a warm and caring manner.”